Civitella in Val di Chiana

Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy

Country:
Region:
Province:
Municipality:
Civitella in Val di Chiana
Population:
9 111

About Civitella in Val di Chiana

Civitella in Val di Chiana (official name), often also Civitella di Val di Chiana, is a municipality in the province of Arezzo, south of Arezzo in Tuscany, Italy. It is one of the best preserved of the network of Lombard fortresses of the 6th and 7th centuries in central Italy, strategically located to control the entire territory. The characteristic elliptical shape of military settlements is still visible in the layout of the city walls.

History

Already inhabited in Roman times, it was occupied and fortified by the Lombards in the 6th century. In the 11th century it became the possession of the Bishops of Arezzo and renamed "Civitella del Vescovo". In the 13th century the city was destroyed after the battle of Pieve al Toppo, mentioned by Dante Alighieri and fought nearby between Arezzo and Siena. After the defeat of Arezzo in Campaldino (1289) the city was annexed to Florence. In 1311 Arezzo reconquered it, until 1348, from that moment on it remained the seat of a Florentine mayor. Civitella enjoys one of the most panoramic views of the Arezzo valley.

On June 29, 1944, 244 citizens [citation needed] of Civitella were massacred by the Hermann Göring division in retaliation for the killing of two German soldiers by the partisans. In 1963 the city received the gold medal for civil value. A book by Enzo Gradassi on Elga Elmqvist (the Swedish) and Giovanni Cau takes up the historical events that led to the massacre. A trailer for the book is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-pIT2AcV6g.

The city council also opened a room of memories.

On 10 October 2006, SS Max Josef Milde was sentenced by the Italian military court of La Spezia for his role in the Civitella massacre. The Italian Court of Cassation in October 2008 ruled that Germany would pay 203 million victims of the massacre for one million dollars. However, the International Court of Justice subsequently ruled that Italy was required to quash the sentence out of respect for German state immunity

Main attractions

The castle, built in 1048 and surrounded by a massive line of walls. It was used as headquarters by the German army during the Second World War and was destroyed by an allied bombing in 1944. It was never rebuilt.

Palazzo Pretorio (14th century)

The church of Santa Maria Assunta (11th century), finished in Romanesque style in 1252. It was restored in 1765 and enlarged in 1875. In 1934 two small lateral naves were added which were rebuilt after the destruction caused by the air raid of 1944. [4 ]

International relations

Twin cities - sister cities

Civitella in Val di Chiana is twinned with:

Kämpfelbach, Germany

Ain Beda, Western Sahara

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civitella_in_Val_di_Chiana