Feltre

Province of Belluno, Veneto, Italy

Country:
Region:
Municipality:
Feltre
Population:
20 525

About Feltre

Feltre (Venetian: Fèltre) is a town in the province of Belluno in the Veneto region, in northern Italy. A hill town in the southern part of the province, it is located on the Stizzon River, about 4 kilometers (2 miles) from its intersection with the Piave, and 20 km (12 miles) south-west of Belluno. The Dolomites loom north of the city.

An area that includes Feltre and 12 adjoining municipalities is known as Feltrino . In 2014 the Feltrino area was formalized in the Feltrina Mountain Union (Feltrino Mountain Community).

History

It was known in Roman times as Feltria and described as an oppidum by Pliny, who assigned its foundation to the Alpine tribe of the Rhaetian. The city gained municipium status in 49 BC. with its citizens enrolled in the Roman tribe of Menenia. Despite its rigorous climate, which led a Roman author, perhaps Caesar, to write:

Feltria lay on a Roman road mentioned in the Antonino Itinerary while passing from Opitergium (Oderzo) through Feltria to Tridentum (Trento).

After the fall of the western empire, under which it had developed into a flourishing city, it became a Lombard dominion. Later in the Middle Ages, it was ruled by Ezzelino da Romano, by the Camino family, and then by the Scaligeri of Verona, from 1315 to 1337. Feltre was subsequently under Charles IV, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, by Carrara and Visconti until 1404, when , together with Belluno, it was conquered by the Republic of Venice. In 1499 he received a new line of walls.

In 1509 the center of the city was largely destroyed during the battles between the Venetians and the League of Cambrai, and later rebuilt with a characteristic 16th century style. In 1797, after the capitulation of Venice to Napoleon, it was long ruled by the French. Napoleon became his war minister, Henri Jacques Guillaume Clarke, duke of Feltre in 1807. After the Congress of Vienna (1814), Feltre was assigned to the Austrian Empire, to which he remained until he was united to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.

He was besieged by Austria during the First World War.

During World War II, Adolf Hitler asked for a meeting with Benito Mussolini to discuss his strategy of defending Italy from the allied armies since the Axis armies had just ceded Tunis to the British army, giving the allied armies total control of the North Africa. This meeting took place on July 19, 1943 in Feltre, Italy.

Feltre's illustrious characters include the printer Panfilo Castaldi, Friar Minor, missionary and founder of the Monti di Pietà, Blessed Bernardino of Feltre, the humanist educator Vittorino da Feltre and the painter Morto da Feltre.

In 2017, Feltre was the second base for the BCC tour in Italy, mainly used for the assault on Monte Grappa.

Main attractions

The Cathedral, dedicated to San Pietro and rebuilt in the Renaissance period. It has kept the apse and the 14th century bell tower from the previous buildings. The interior features works by Pietro Marescalchi and some 17th century wooden statues. The church is flanked by the baptistery of the fifteenth century, which houses a precious medieval baptismal font from 1399. Under the cathedral there is an excavated archaeological area of 1,000 m2 (10,763.91 square feet) belonging to the ancient Roman city.

The Imperial Gate (1489, restored in 1545), from which the Via Mezzaterra begins. This is addressed by the well-known Casa Crico, Casa Cantoni and Palazzo Muffoni.

Palazzo Salce.

Palazzo della Ragione (16th century), the present Town Hall, with a Palladian-style portico. It opens onto Piazza Maggiore, one of the most beautiful in Veneto, with a fountain by Tullio Lombardo and a column surmounted by the Lion of San Marco. In the same square there are Palazzo Guarnieri and a baroque staircase leading to the church of San Rocco (1576–1632), flanked by the so-called "Castle of Alboin" with the Clock Tower, once part of the Roman defensive apparatus. The attribution of the castle to the Lombard king of Alboin has no historical evidence

The Pinacoteca, in Palazzo Villabruna, has works by Morto da Feltre, Cima da Conegliano, Gentile Bellini, Pietro Marescalchi and others.

The church and monastery of Santa Maria degli Angeli, started in 1492, but entirely renovated in the 19th century, have kept part of the ancient cloister. It houses a painting by Jacopo Bassano

Outside the city are:

The sanctuary of SS. Vittore and Corona (XII-XV century), dedicated to Saints Vittorio and Corona, outside the city shows a mix of Byzantine and Renaissance styles and houses some Giotto's frescoes of the XIV century. The sculptures include martyrdom which houses the relics of the two eastern saints and a small statue of San Vittore.

The late renaissance Villa Pasona stands on the site of the Pedavena Castle, destroyed by the emperor Charles IV in 1350.

Fractions

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feltre