Province of Latina, Latium, Italy
Priverno is a city, municipality and former Latin Catholic bishopric in the province of Latina, Lazio, central Italy. It was called Piperno until 1927.
It has a station on the Rome-Naples railway line. Nearby is the chain of Monti Lepini. It was the birthplace of the canonist Reginald of Piperno.
The Privernum is described by Livy as a thriving Volsian site, which was conquered and destroyed by the Romans at the end of the 4th century BC. The Via Appia passed nearby. The city recovered under Roman rule, but disappeared after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, probably destroyed by Saracen attacks.
It was later a minor center of the Papal States, to which it belonged until the capture of Rome in 1870.
In 760 the diocese of Priverno alias Piperno was established.
From 1217.01.17 it was held in personal union (aeque principaliter) with Terracina until 1986.09.30, when it was suppressed and both (as well as Sezze) made their title and territory merge in the Diocese of Latina - Terracina - Sezze– Priverno.
At least since 1180 (previous operators not available), all the bishops simultaneously held the offices of Sezze and the Roman Catholic diocese of Terracina, from 1217 due to personal union with Terracina.
Its former Marian cathedral remains a concathedral: Concattedrale di S. Maria (Assunta), in Priverno.
Nearby is the famous Abbey of Fossanova, where the patron saint of the city, San Tommaso d'Aquino, died on March 7, 1274.
Santa Maria Assunta (ex Cathedral), consecrated by Pope Lucius II in 1183. It houses a panel of the Madonna d'Agosto and the skull of San Tommaso.
San Benedetto, built by the Benedictines from the seventh century AD; it includes frescoes from the 13th and 16th centuries
San Giovanni Evangelista (c. IX century, rebuilt in the XIII century). It has 13th-15th century frescoes, including stories of Saint Catherine (14th century), a Madonna and Child (15th century)
St. Thomas Aquinas (13th century)
San Nicola '(13th century)
The secular buildings include Villa Gallio, residence of Cardinal Bartolomeo Gallio, the Town Hall (13th century), with the dolphin fountain by Giuseppe Olivieri and Porta San Marco and Porta Posterola, the only remains of the seven gates that gave access to Priverno. Remnants of the old Privernum are out of town, including parts of the walls, baths, three patrician houses and a temple. Here a colossal statue of Tiberius (now in the Vatican Museums) was found at the end of the 18th century.
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priverno