Rome, Latium, Italy
About Rignano Flaminio
Rignano Flaminio is a comune (municipality) in the metropolitan city of Rome in the Italian region of Lazio, about 35 kilometers (22 miles) north of Rome. It is on the other side of the Via Flaminia.
Rignano Flaminio borders the municipalities of Calcata, Capena, Civitella San Paolo, Faleria, Magliano Romano, Morlupo and Sant'Oreste.
It has a station on the Rome-Viterbo railway.
Agricultural settlements of the Capenati and Falisci in the area are attested from the fifth or fourth century BC. In the 6th century AD a famous pilgrimage church was created here, named after S. Abondius and Abondantius; the relics of the saints were transferred to Rome, on the Tiber Island, in 999. In 1159 Pope Hadrian IV died in Rignano.
Rignano was first owned by Santa Maria in Trastevere and then by the Savelli family, who were soon expelled by Pope Alexander VI. After the fall of the Borgia, the Savelli regained it and maintained the fiefdom until 1607, when they sold it to the Borghese. It later passed to the Muti, Cesi and Massimo families.
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rignano_Flaminio