Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy
Sansepolcro, formerly Borgo Santo Sepolcro, is a city and municipality founded in the 11th century, located in the Italian province of Arezzo in the eastern part of the Tuscany region.
Located on the upper part of the Tiber River, the city is the birthplace of the painters Piero della Francesca, Raffaellino del Colle (pupil of Raffaello), Matteo di Giovanni, Santi di Tito and Angiolo Tricca. It was also the birthplace of the Italian mathematician Luca Pacioli and Matteo Cioni, who translated Piero della Francesca's treatise on pictorial perspective into Latin (De prospectiva pingendi).
Today the city's economy is based on agriculture, industrial production, food processing and pharmaceutical products. It is the home of the Buitoni pasta, founded by Giulia Buitoni in 1827.
According to tradition, the foundation of the city took place through two 9th century pilgrims in the Holy Land, Arcano and Giles, who returned to the region and built a chapel dedicated to San Leonardo - whose ruins now lie under the current Cathedral of Sansepolcro - where established a monastic way of life. They had brought a stone from the church of the Holy Sepulcher to Jerusalem (hence, San Sepolcro) with them from that sanctuary which led to the name of the monastery, as it became a popular pilgrimage site. Soon it became the Benedictine Abbey of Sansepolcro (la Badia). The monastery was declared nullius abbey.
The first historical mentions of Sansepolcro date back to 1012, referring to the construction of the monastery, around which a municipality began to develop due to its declared market town by the emperor Corrado II, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The abbey chose to affiliate with the monks of the Camaldolese order, based in the area, in the following century. During the conflicts between Guelphs and Ghibellines, the factions of the city were led by important local families, including Pichi, Bercordati, Graziani and Bacci.
Due to its central position on the local trade routes, control of the city was contested and taken by various forces of the region in the thirteenth century, passing from Uguccione della Faggiola, lord of Pisa, to Guido Tarlati, bishop of Arezzo, and his brother, Pier Saccone Tarlati of Pietramala, who ruled it from Città di Castello, and then to the dominion of the Papal States. The local dialect derives from that of the Città di Castello and that of the Casentino valley which came later. In 1367 Pope Urban V donated the city and the surrounding district to the Malatesta family, whose heirs governed it until control of the Republic of Florence was assumed in the fifteenth century with the approval of Pope Eugene IV. It was elevated to the rank of city a century later by Pope Leo X.
During the Second World War, the city was saved from destruction thanks to the efforts of Tony Clarke, an artillery officer of the British royal horse who stopped the Allied artillery attack to save Piero della Francesca's fresco.
The main church is the Cathedral of San Giovanni Evangelista built in the Gothic-Romanesque style in 1012–49. Other noteworthy churches are San Francesco and San Lorenzo. The latter church has a Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino.
The English writer Aldous Huxley described Piero della Francesca's Resurrection, which is located in the Civic Museum, as "the largest painting in the world" . The museum collection includes three other works by Piero della Francesca and many other treasures including paintings by Santi di Tito, Raffaellino del Colle and Luca Signorelli.
Diocese of Sansepolcro
St. Quentin (Pontormo)
Twin cities - sister cities
Sansepolcro is twinned with:
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansepolcro