Province of Chieti

Abruzzo, Italy

Province of Chieti
387 956

About Province of Chieti

The province of Chieti (Italian: Chieti province; Abruzzese: pruvìngie de Chjìte) is a province of the Abruzzo region in Italy. Its provincial capital is the city of Chieti, which has a population of 50,770 inhabitants. The province has a total population of 387,649 inhabitants as of 2017 and covers an area of 2,599.58 square kilometers (1,003.70 square miles). It is divided into 104 municipalities (municipality) and the provincial president is Mario Pupillo.

Chieti Cathedral was built for the first time in the 9th century, but was rebuilt during the 13th century. The province contains the National Museum of Antiquities (National Museum of Antiquities), which contains objects from the area before Roman rule.


It was initially installed by the Osci people near the Pescara river. Around 1000 BC it was conquered by the Marsi and the Marrucini. The city was also inhabited by the Greeks, who called it Teate. It was conquered by the Romans in 305 BC. but after the fall of Rome in 476 AD, Teoderica the Great obtained ownership of the city and was subsequently used as a Lombard fortress. The city was then owned by the Franks, the Normans, the Hohenstaufen, the Angevins and the Aragonese rulers until strong control over the city was conquered by Charles V of France. Chieti became the capital of Abruzzo Citra under its period of dominion from the Bourbon House.

The province of Chieti contains Ortona, a city founded by the Fretani to trade with the Greeks, which was the scene of a WWII battle between German and mainly British and Canadian forces; over 2,000 civilians died and the city was largely destroyed.


The province of Chieti is one of the four provinces of the Abruzzo region on the east coast of Italy. It is the easternmost province of the region and is bordered to the north-east by the Adriatic Sea. The province of Pescara is located in the north and the province of L'Aquila in the north-west. To the south is the Province of Isernia and the Province of Campobasso is to the southeast, both provinces belonging to the Molise region. The provincial capital is Chieti, located on a ridge a few kilometers inland and just south of the Aterno-Pescara river which flows into the sea in nearby Pescara.

There has been a movement of farmers away from the land and the area. The outflow was greatest from the hilly and mountainous areas, where companies are small and worked by the families who own them. In the period 1951-1971, the number of employed in agriculture in Chieti fell from 80% to around 45%, the number of employed in industry tripled to around 20% and the number of employed in the service sector tripled to around 30%.

Main attractions


The Gothic cathedral, rebuilt by Bishop Attone I in 1069. Only parts of the Romanesque crypt remain of that building. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century and the bell tower was enlarged. After several earthquakes, the church was rebuilt again in the late 17th-18th century in Baroque style.

Oratory of the Sacro Monte dei Morti

Church of San Francesco al Corso, founded in 1239. The facade shows an incomplete Baroque restoration.

Church of Santa Chiara.

Under the church of SS. Pietro and Paolo and the adjacent houses are large substructures (in opus reticulatum and masonry) of the first century AD, belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcello and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large basins and an ancient theater. At the beginning of the 21st century, new archaeological excavations are underway on the site of the former sports field.


Cathedral of Santa Maria del Ponte ("Santa Maria del Ponte"), so called because it was built on a bridge along a precipice: it is the work of Michitelli (1619) and has some paintings by Pozzulaniello (Giacinto Diana). It also houses an 8th century Byzantine statue depicting the Madonna, probably brought here during the iconoclastic controversy.

Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, one of the most important architectural sites in Abruzzo. Built in 1227 according to the bourgeois-Cistercian lines, it was renovated in 1540 in Baroque style, with the addition of two lateral naves and stucco decorations (recently removed). The main gate is from 1317.

Church of San Francesco (1258), built on an existing seventh century church. The main altar houses the relics of the Eucharistic Miracle.

Church of Sant'Agostino (1270). The facade has maintained the original rose window and the gate, while the single nave interior is a Baroque restoration.

The Church of San Biagio (11th century) is the oldest church in the city. It has a bell tower and is always open on 3 February for the anointing of the throat, a Catholic rite linked to the cult of San Biagio.

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: