Province of Genoa

Liguria, Italy

Country:
Region:
Province:
Province of Genoa
Population:
855 834

About Province of Genoa

The Province of Genoa (Italian Genoa Province) was a province of the Liguria region in Italy. Its capital is the city of Genoa. It was replaced by the Metropolitan City of Genoa.

Overview

It has an area of 1,838 square kilometers (710 square miles) and a total population of around 0.9 million (2009). There are 67 municipalities in the metropolitan city of Genoa. [Citation needed]

It takes its name from a mythical two-headed Greek god, Janus, protector of ships. The name derives from a Ligurian tribal word, for "knee" (genu), or the Latin name for gate, "janua". The city is located at the foot of the mountains in the Gulf of Genoa, at the northernmost end of the Tyrrhenian Sea, where it once ruled the maritime world. Genoa has excellent examples of Baroque architecture of the church and palace.

History

Genoa had been an independent republic for many years and when Napoleon became emperor and king of Italy in the 1800s, it became part of the French Empire. When Napoleon was defeated in 1814, it became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia. At that time Genoa was the most important port and commercial center in Italy.

The Province of Genoa was established in 1859 by decree and was established on March 1, 1860. The first president was Antonio Caveri, a lawyer. It was divided into five districts, Levante, Chiavari, Genoa, Savona and Albenga, which corresponded largely to the previous divisions of the Republic of Genoa, which had broken down after Napoleon's Italian campaign. King Vittorio Emanuele II approved the coat of arms of the province in 1875 and they were modified in 1933 by the fascist government with the addition of bands.

common

Below is a list of the ten municipalities in the province sorted by number of inhabitants as of December 31, 2010:

See also

Aveto Regional Natural Park

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Genoa