Province of Lodi

Lombardy, Italy

Country:
Region:
Province:
Province of Lodi
Population:
223 755

About Province of Lodi

The province of Lodi (Italian: province of Lodi; Lodigiano: pruincia de Lod) is a province of the Lombardy region in Italy. Its provincial capital is the city of Lodi. As of 2017, it has a population of 229,541 inhabitants on an area of c. 783 square kilometers (300 square miles), giving the province a population density of 293.2 inhabitants per square kilometer. The provincial president is Francesco Passerini.

History

The city of Lodi was founded for the first time in the fifth century BC, before being occupied by the Romans in 222 BC; from 89 BC was called Laus Pompeia, the central city of Lodi Vecchio. The history of the province in the Lombard and Frankish era is poorly documented, but the city of Lodi controlled the important commercial route from Milan to the south to Cremona, Piacenza and the lower reaches of the Lambro river. In 1025, the German emperor Corrado II granted some rights to the archbishop of Milan which caused the change of land ownership and tensions in the region flared up. Allied with the Holy Roman Empire but independent, Laus Pomperia fought against the Milanese in the XII century, and the city was destroyed in 1111 and again in 1158, which marked the end of the city in the old position. A request was made by Frederick I, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, to rebuild the city near the Adda river. The city, however, joined its opponents, the Lombard League, in 1167. Its citizens fought against Federico in the battle of Legnano in 1176. However, he continued to have problems with Milan (also a member of the Lombard League) up to the city it was conquered in 1335 by the lord of Milan Azzone Visconti.

It remained peaceful until it was invaded in 1490. Napoleon's first significant Italian victory took place in the province on May 10, 1796, where Napoleon's 5,000 military forces defeated the Austrian forces of 10,000 men. It fell under Austrian rule until the Austrians left the city in 1859 and was ruled by Marshal Patrice de MacMahon, the French forces of the Duke of Magenta from June 10, 1859. It later became part of the kingdom of Italy and became a component of the province from Milan.

Geography

The province of Lodi is one of the twelve provinces of the Lombardy region in north-western Italy. It has an area of approximately 780 square kilometers (300 sq mi) and is delineated by rivers; the right bank of the Adda almost surrounds it, and a further part of the border is formed by the left bank of the Lambro and the Po. The province is bounded to the east by the Province of Cremona, by the Metropolitan City of Milan in the north and by the Province of Pavia to the west. The terrain is mainly slightly sloping or flat and the terrain is alluvial soil. It is used to grow fodder crops, which are mowed up to eight times a year, rice, wheat, corn, sugar beet and vegetables.

See also

List of municipalities in the province of Lodi

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Lodi