Province of Terni
About Province of Terni
The Province of Terni (in Italian: Provincia di Terni) is the smaller of the two provinces of the Umbria region in Italy, which comprises one third of both the area and the population of the region. Its capital is the city of Terni. The province was born in 1927, when it was sculpted from the original unitary province of Umbria.
The province of Terni has an area of 2,122 km² and a total population of 228,836 (2016).
There are 33 municipalities (Italian: comune) in the province.
In June 2006, the only municipalities with a population of over 10,000 were Terni, Orvieto, Narni and Amelia.
It borders the Province of Perugia to the north, Lazio (Province of Rieti and Viterbo) to the east, south and west to the north and Tuscany (Province of Siena) to the north-west. The province extends in the southwest of the Umbria region, occupying the last section of the Nera river valley near the confluence with the Velino river and the eastern part of the Tiber river valley.
The province of Terni is characterized by its slopes encountered along the path of the rivers, allowing the exploitation of water catchment areas, so as to have led to the creation of numerous artificial lakes:
San Liberato lake
In the second millennium BC the province was occupied by a population called Umbri, who founded the cities of Amelia, Narnia Nahars, Otricolum and Interamna Nahars. With the development of the Etruscan civilization, their territory was reduced to the valleys of Nero and Velino. One of the most important and richest Etruscan cities in the province of Terni was Orvieto and an unidentified place called Fanum Voltumnae. For centuries, Umbria and Etruscan fought hard for the dominion of the Tiber valley, until 299 BC. when the Roman legions began the invasion of Umbria.
The provincial territory was part of the Roman Republic and then of the Roman Empire until the western part of the latter fell in the fifth century AD. In 571 the Lombards, after invading the Po Valley, descended on the Apennines and, in 575, founded the Duchy of Spoleto in what is now Umbria and the surrounding areas; this state remained formally independent until 1250. In 1527 Terni was used an encampment of the Landsknecht army that would later take part in the Sack of Rome and fought in Spoleto and Todi, where the troops of the Cognac League were located.
Before the industrial development of the late nineteenth century, Terni was a small town with about 15,000 inhabitants in 1881. By 1921 it had grown to 40,000 inhabitants. In 1926 it became the seat of a separate province, detached from Perugia, including the countryside around the main centers of Terni and Orvieto.
The Cathedral of Orvieto
Ancient theater of Carsulae
Central square of Narni
Municipalities of the Province of Terni
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Terni
Map of Province of Terni, Umbria, Italy
- Avigliano Umbro
- Calvi dell'Umbria
- Castel Giorgio
- Castel Viscardo
- Lugnano in Teverina
- Monteleone d'Orvieto
- Penna in Teverina
- San Gemini
- San Venanzo