Province of Vicenza

Veneto, Italy

Country:
Region:
Province:
Province of Vicenza
Population:
859 205

About Province of Vicenza

The Province of Vicenza (Italian: Provincia di Vicenza) is a province of Veneto in northern Italy. Its capital is Vicenza.

The province has an area of 2,722.53 km² and a total population of 865,082 (as of 2017). There are 199 municipalities (municipalities) in the province. The municipalities of the province include Bassano del Grappa, Montecchio Maggiore, Torri di Quartesolo, Schio, Noventa Vicentina, Thiene, Marostica, Lonigo, Arzignano and Valdagno.

The population is not uniformly spread throughout the province. Over 60% of the population resides in densely industrialized areas in the eastern, western and northern conurbations (known as Alto Vicentino), as well as in the area surrounding Bassano del Grappa. The remaining 40% resides in predominantly rural areas in the southern part of the province (the Berici and Basso Vicentino hills) or the Asiago plateau.

Economic development in some areas is hampered by industrial and agricultural depression. Cities in the western part such as Valdagno and Montecchio Maggiore suffer from high unemployment, following a decline in the steel and textile industries. The Berici Hills and the Lower Vicentino remain mainly agricultural and have high levels of unemployment. The industrial zone of the Alto Vicentino alone represents only half of the GDP of the province.

Federico Faggin, an Italian physicist / electrical engineer primarily responsible for the design of the first microprocessor, was born in Vicenza.

comunes

There were 116 municipalities (singular: municipality) in the province (data: Istat 01/01/2018):

Economy

The industrial sector plays a primary role and in the last half century has supplanted the predominant agricultural sector: since the second post-war period, the province has in fact been one of the major interpreters of the remarkable economic and industrial development of North-East Italy. The most important economic activities in the province are textiles, tanning, marble extraction, ceramics, furniture, but above all jewelry.

Small and medium-sized enterprises predominate in the area, making the province of Vicenza one of the most important at national level and which have developed, giving rise mainly to 4 industrial districts:

The leather district in the Chiampo valley, in Arzignano, Chiampo, Montorso Vicentino, Zermeghedo and Montebello Vicentino,

The wool and yarn district in the cities of Schio and Valdagno (historically linked to the two large local industries, Lanerossi and Marzotto respectively)

The goldsmith district of Vicenza, Trissino and Camisano Vicentino

The electronics district in Vicenza

Other activities typically related to the territory are:

The distilleries of Bassano del Grappa, considered the world capital of grappa

The furniture factories of Bassano del Grappa

The production of ceramics in Nove and Vicenza.

See also

Calà del Sasso

52 Tunnel Road

Source: Wikipedia
Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Vicenza